Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sunday was lovely. Carl and I drove all around the hills for nearly 3 hours, just enjoying the scenery. I forgot my camera, but did manage to snap a couple of pics with my phone. We stopped at the Mangy Moose in Hill City for snacky bits. They have wonderful fried mushrooms there. Then we went to a benefit show for our friend Amanda. She had emergency surgery a few months back and now has 20K in medical bills. Some of the local music folks got together to try and help, as she's been very active in the scene for several years. It was nice to go out and meet a few more people, 3 or 4 of which are very interested in coming to the monthly Vegan Potluck.

Monday was spent in a cooking and baking frenzy. It felt good to spend the day making tasty things. The frenzy yielded Lemon Drop Cookies, Asian Sauteed Cabbage, Creamy Chreezy Pasta, Baked Potatoes, and Vanilla Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting and Strawberries. I also baked a butternut squash that I intend to use for either pasta sauce or soup tonight. Due to the urging of my friend Debbie and Carl's need for me to stop complaining (I've been homesick lately) I had a shopping adventure at Main St. Market on Monday. Its an awesome natural foods store that carries all the bits that I've been having trouble locating. They ordered me large containers of Soy Yogurt, my order will be in on Thursday. So happy! I did spend more than intended while there, but that's because I found Gimme Lean Soy Sausage, Field and Grain Smoked Apple Seitan Sausages, Facon Bacon, and good quality Nutritional Yeast. The last two times I've bought Nutritional Yeast, its either been old or from a poor supplier. This time, I found the good stuff!

I'm going to be writing the Vegan Recipes Section for The Hills Thrills. Its a local online newspapery thing like Smile Politely back in CU. I'm also auditioning for a local dance and movement group at the end of May. The audition is for a piece called Vita, its about growth and change. I'm very intrigued by the concept. I'm hoping to also find the time to get involved with Staging Grounds, the new art collective downtown, in the near future. At some point I need to start my volunteer hours at The Dahl as well. If only they'd get someone hired to take all the extra stuff I've been doing at the bridal shop.

Speaking of David's, the DM is finally doing interviews this week for Bre's position. I really hope they make a decision by Friday so we can get the person trained over the next 2 weeks. I'm at my wits end as far as balancing the two jobs. The wee bit extra I make for doing so, just isn't worth the effort. They're paying me $1.05 more an hour to do what they'd pay another person $11.50 an hour to do. Which means I'm doing $23.00 worth of job and only getting paid for half of it. Explain to me how this is fair?

That's enough bitching about work. This was supposed to be a happy post. The end is in sight, I just have to have some patience. Something we all know I have very little of. Soon enough I'll be able to focus a bit more on the life I moved here to live and get some balance back into my day to day life. I think May might be the month that brings that routine into focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment